In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox lets you peek into the contents of my mailbox on a weekly basis. I am listing all the lovely books that I have aquired this week. If you would like to participate and have your own “In My Mailbox” post, you can find more information here on the Story Siren's blog, where it all began.

I had a good week and I wish to share with you my good fortune.

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Annabel Greene seemingly had everything: cool friends, close family, good grades, and a part-time modeling career in town. But it all came crashing down, and Annabel has spent the summer in shaky, self-imposed exile. She finds herself dreading the new school term and facing, well, everyone again. The last thing she wants to do is revisit old friendships while the losses are painful, the secrets behind the rifts are almost unbearable. Her solid family seems fragile, too. What happened to cause the stiff silences and palpable resentments between her two older sisters? Why is no one in her loving but determinedly cheerful family talking about her middle sister's eating disorder? Annabel's devastating secret is revealed in bits and snatches, as readers see her go to amazing lengths to avoid confrontation. Caught between wanting to protect her family and her own struggles to face a devastating experience, Annabel finds comfort in an unlikely friendship with the school's most notorious loner. Owen has his own issues with anger, but has learned to control it and helps her realize the dangers of holding in her emotions.

The Accidental Human by Dakota Cassidy
#3 in the Accidental series (not YA)

Wanda Schwartz is raking in the dough selling Bobbie-Sue Cosmetics—and she’s a pro at recruiting new saleswomen. So, she’s shocked when a man comes to one of her in-home parties—a very hot man. Heath Jefferson is sure to put some extra spin into a lot of women’s color wheels.When Wanda is diagnosed with a terminal illness, it doesn’t have to be a death sentence. With a werewolf and a vampire for best friends, she has options that most ordinary people wouldn’t. As Wanda ponders what to do about her mortality, Heath reveals he has secrets, and one of them is that his former bloodlust has turned into an old-fashioned lust—for Wanda. And he’s already given up too much to lose the love of his lifetimes.

Girls by Tucker Shaw (ARC)
Pub Date: April 1, 2009

Meet Mary: She’s beautiful, and her ski-star boyfriend is cheating on her.
Meet Crystal: She’s a townie, and she’s cheating with Mary’s boyfriend.
Meet Sylvia: She’s nasty, and she’s got something up her Prada-designed sleeve.
Meet Amber: She’s a flake, she’s the barista at the hottest coffee shop in Aspen, and she serves up gossip even hotter than grande skim lattes.
Meet Peggy: She’s Mary’s best friend, and she has no idea how to cope with all these girls.

A modern retelling of the classic play The Women (which featured not one male in the cast), The Girls is a quick-witted, stylish comedy about friendship, love, and most important, gossip! An elite Aspen prep school sets the stage for jealousy and intrigue as the lives of many girls tangle into a wickedly fun mess (in which no boys ever appear).

8 comments on "In My Mailbox"

Erika Lynn wrote: February 28, 2009 at 6:10 AM

The Girls sounds really interesting. And I love Dakota Cassidy

Bookworm wrote: February 28, 2009 at 7:27 AM

The Girls sounds good...Love the colorful cover!

karinlibrarian wrote: March 1, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I didn't see your link on The Story Siren site. THE ACCIDENTAL HUMAN sounds cute.

Ravenous Reader wrote: March 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I was away at Wondercon...sick as a dog and now am paying for it. I have am now home and have put my post on The Story Siren's blog now.

TheBookworm wrote: March 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

The Girls sounds fun, lighthearted, and a nice quick read. (Can't wait until your review!) Its on my wish list. :D

So Many Books, So Little Time wrote: March 2, 2009 at 2:54 AM

I hope you enjoy Just Listen. Sarah Dessen is an amazing author!

Reverie wrote: March 2, 2009 at 4:24 AM

oh those look like such fun book. i want it!

Rhonda Stapleton wrote: March 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM

NICE list of stuff to read! Let me know how you like them...