What genre of book do you prefer to read?

As I am arranging my current TBR pile of books, I noticed that I had an overwhelming amount of novels in the paranormal genre. I admit that my reading preference strongly leans into that category but in the last year I have expanded by horizons and have read books from other genres that I have greatly enjoyed i.e. contemporary fiction. Some of my favorite reads from this year have been in the contemporary genre and so I am dabbling a bit more and finding satisfactory results. The only genre that I have not been able to joyfully indulge in is Sci-Fi novels. I cannot seem to get into them no matter how much I try.

I feel bad about this because I could be missing out on some amazing reads due to my stubbornness, but If I cannot feel passionately about what I am reading, why bother??

So again my curious mind is piqued. What genre does everyone like to read? Also, have you ever read a genre you did not care for but have been pleasantly surprised in reading? and what genre of book do you not care for?

15 comments on "What genre of book do you prefer to read?"

Diana Dang wrote: June 21, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I prefer contemporary realism. Paranormal always gave me hesitant because they always run the same plotline.

Nicole wrote: June 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM

In order - paranormal, historical fiction. Fantasy and dystopian tie for third. Then pretty much every genre after that.

A and Z wrote: June 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Mystery, Fantasy (The more bizarre, the better!), realistic fiction, and almost every other genre (Although most depend on the book). We actually have a poll on our blog along the same lines as this post. It would be very interesting to see what people vote for. http://azbookreviews.blogspot.com/
Thanks!

Yan wrote: June 21, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Fantasy with romance. It's my guilty pleasure.

Adriana wrote: June 21, 2010 at 10:07 AM

For me it's historical fiction like The Luxe series or A Great & Terrible Beauty. I was never really a huge fan of realistic fiction, but after blogging I actually read some pretty great books, I never would have considered reading on my own. Like Perfect Chemistry or Looking for Alaska are some of my favorites now.

titania86 wrote: June 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I prefer to read horror, sci-fi, mystery, and historical fiction. I do not enjoy books that purely focus on romance.

Alessandra wrote: June 21, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I prefer contemporary or historical fiction/romance. I've never been a great fan of paranormal romance, but I stumbled on a few good ones. Also, I've discovered I do like science fiction, (which I never would've imagined a couple of years ago!).

La Coccinelle wrote: June 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM

It seems that I gravitate toward paranormal fiction or contemporary fantasy. In the past, I've read quite a few classics and enjoyed many of them (which surprised me, because I'd kind of been turned off of the classics by having to pick them apart in school). I'm not that keen on romance novels or crime fiction; I haven't read much in those genres, and I really have no desire to do so.

So Many Books, So Little Time wrote: June 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I'm not ususally a fan of historical fiction but when I've branched out, I've fond some amazing books.

Though my books are heavily weighted towards paranormal reads, as well.

Rebecca Herman wrote: June 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM

my favorite genres are historical fiction, and high fantasy (like Brightly Woven). I also like old fashioned fairy tale retellings and some modern paranormal fantasy.

Becky (Page Turners) wrote: June 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM

The vast majority of my books are contemporary, then classics, then literary. I also have a few popular fiction books (Dan Brown is a guilty pleasure). I don't have any paranormal or romance on my shelves I have to admit.

Bee wrote: June 22, 2010 at 1:27 AM

My favourite is contemporary, 'cos quite honestly, contemporary's the one that's at it.

Serena wrote: June 22, 2010 at 6:24 AM

I really am an eclectic reader, but I enjoy paranormal and contemporary and historical fiction and of course, poetry!

Krista/Tower of Books wrote: June 22, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I like contemporary fiction the most because they are usually character driven.

Mardel wrote: June 23, 2010 at 1:33 AM

I prefer urban fantasy (the type without gratuitous sex), sci-fi (especially with space travel) and dark fantasy. I have read books in other genres, but prefer the first three.

I've been reading for around 45 years, although the first few years were childrens' books. With all the books that I've read over all the years, I find that there's really basically the same few plots. What stands out, is the surrounding subplots, details, conversations between characters and humor.

I'm tired of reading books that seem to be a poor excuse for writing sex scenes - there was a time when I enjoyed them, but it's the same idea here - after so many years of living and reading about sex, there's not much that stands out about that - and in fact I usually end up rolling my eyes, thinking "mushy" or "get real".

Though I love that there are many sifferent sub-genres for fantasy and sci-fi - I resent buying a book that states urban fantasy or sci-fi on the cover, when it reads like a romance novel that happens to have science or magic in it.

All in all - I enjoy that there are books out there to keep me occupied.

SABAA TAHIR Book Launch: AN EMBER IN THE ASHES
Tuesday, April 28 @ 7:30pm

The Epic Reads YA Tour featuring Susane Colasanti, Maria Dahvana Headley and Katie Contugno.
A Great Good Place in Montclair Village
Wednesday, April 29 @ 7 pm

California BOOKSTORE Day |Independent Bookstore Day
Saturday, May 2, 2015
At your local Indie bookstores. Please come and join them at various locations throughout the SF Bay Area for their BOOKSTORE day celebrations.
Books Inc.
Great Good Place
Green Apple Books
Hicklebee's
Kepler's
Mrs. Dalloway's
Just to name a few. If you would like to know about more bookstores in the SF Bay Area check out this page that will show you all those bookstores that are participating http://indiemap.bookweb.org/

YA Event of Awesome with authors TRICIA STIRLING, ANNAMEEKEE HESIK, STACEY LEE, HEIDI KLING, TAMARA IRELAND STONE AND LYNN CARTHAGE
Hickleebee's in San Jose
Friday, May 8 @ 7pm

NYMBC YA Hoopla
Featuring: Tamara Ireland Stone, Virginia Boecker, Stephanie Keuhn, Alexis Bass, Veronica Rossi, Katherine Longshore and many more
Saturday, May 9 @4pm

MICHAEL BUCKLEY
Saturday, May 9 @ 3pm

Fierce Reads 2015 Spring Tour with Katie Finn, Lynne Matson, Marie Rutkoski and Lindsay Smith
Keplers in Menlo Park
Tuesday, May 12 @ 6pm

NYMBC Presents the Summer of Swoon Tour: SANDY HALL, KATIE VAN ARK, TEMPLE WEST and KIMBERLY KARALIUS

JODI PICOULT & SAMANTHA VAN LEER