If you are a fan of Downton Abbey like I am then you cannot pass up this fantastic new novel CINDERS & SAPPHIRES by Leila Rasheed. A fiery new protagonist, a forbidden love and unimaginable desires in a world where propriety and manners are everything. Please take a seat, sip some tea and have a scone as you read a sneak peek of this new novel and get to know the main character a bit better.
|Click on the above image to visit the family tree|
· If you could become a journalist what would you like to write about?
I would like to expose injustice in British society. A decade into the twentieth century, modernity is rushing towards us at the speed of the automobile. And yet children still live in slums, disease and poverty steal hope from families. This is wrong.
· If you could go on any adventure without having to worry about your station in life, where would you like to go.?
I would like to go back to India. I still think of it as my home, in a way. I’d like to wander around and explore its many beauties.
· What made you fall for Ravi and do you think that you both could ever express your true intentions publicly?
Most men look at me and see a title. Others see a pretty face. Ravi is the first man I’ve ever met who saw me, Ada. Sadly, I don’t think we would ever be accepted as a couple by my family. If he were a maharajah, things might be different. But he can offer neither wealth nor status, and so my father would never accept him.
· What changes would you like to be a part of for the improvement of women's rights?
I want women to be able to take their place alongside men in every field of work. Therefore I would like to see the universities of Oxford and Cambridge award degrees formally to their female students.
· Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years?