Plumbing FAQs

New Castle County Plumbing & HVAC FAQs

Q: Do I need a permit for plumbing work in New Castle County? A: Yes, permits are generally required for most plumbing projects, including installing new fixtures, replacing water heaters, and major repairs.

Q: How do I find a licensed plumber in New Castle County? A: Verify plumbing licenses through the Delaware Division of Professional Regulation. You can also search for highly-rated plumbers on online review platforms and get referrals from local hardware stores.

Q: What are signs of a plumbing leak? A: Watch for:

  • Unexplained increases in your water bill
  • Wet spots or staining on walls, ceilings, or floors
  • The sound of running water when nothing is on
  • Low water pressure

Q: How can I prevent frozen pipes in the winter? A: Here are some tips:

  • Insulate exposed pipes in attics, basements, and crawl spaces.
  • Let faucets drip slightly on very cold nights.
  • Open cabinet doors under sinks to allow warm air to circulate.
  • If a pipe does freeze, contact a plumber immediately.

Q: What should I do in a plumbing emergency? A: Here are the essential steps: * Shut off the main water valve to your home. * If possible, isolate the leak by closing the nearest valve. * Contact a 24/7 emergency plumber.


Q: How often should I have my HVAC system serviced? A: It’s recommended to have your heating system serviced annually before winter and your cooling system serviced before summer for optimal performance and energy efficiency.

Q: What are signs my HVAC system needs repair? A: Be alert for: * Unusual noises or smells * Poor airflow or uneven heating/cooling * Frequent cycling on and off * Increased energy bills * Thermostat issues

Q: Can I DIY HVAC maintenance? A: While basic tasks like changing air filters are suitable for DIY, more complex maintenance and repairs are best left to qualified HVAC technicians.

Q: How do I find a reputable HVAC contractor in New Castle County? A: Look for companies that:
* Have licensed and insured technicians. * Specialize in the specific services you need (installation, repairs, etc.). * Offer clear upfront pricing and warranties. * Have positive customer reviews.

Q: What should I do if my furnace or AC breaks down completely? A: Contact a trusted HVAC company for immediate diagnosis and repair services. If you have an existing relationship with an HVAC contractor, they might offer priority scheduling for emergencies.